Return from Blog

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Q & A with Phillipe

1. How did you get into MMA?
I started training traditional Martial arts since the age of 5. I trained at a Karate school from age 5 to 7. My mother and father then enrolled me in a school called Universal Defense Systems under Sifu Ralph Mitchell. There I trained Kung Fu, JKD, Muay Thai Kickboxing, Savate, Arnis, and even street self defense tactics. I started with him at the age of 10. I got into MMA after watching my training partners try it and do well. After my first fight. I was hooked. I enjoy it so much. I so feel alive when I fight!

2. What did your family say when you told them you wanted to be a professional fighter?
My mother and father said I should focus on school and then do what I want after. As long as I finished school they were happy.

3. I understand that you a registered nurse. Which is more exciting: fighting or nursing?
Nursing has it's exiting moments. I work in the ER and have seen everything there is to be seen that is humanly possible. People dying, gun shots, stabbings, heart attacks, the works. But
nothing compares to the fighting. I get such a rush in that cage it's immeasurable.

4. When cutting weight what is the hardest thing to cut out of your diet?
I love ice cream!!! Yum!!!

5. What do you like to do when you are training?
I listen to music all the time while training. That was one thing that was difficult on the show was no music! =(

6. Who gave you the name "The Filipino Assassin"?
I believe one of the guys on the show call me "the Assassin" So I said why not the Filipino Assassin! That sounds better! I have to represent!

7. Where do you train?
I train in Brooklyn NY with Team Insight and I train my BJJ under Soca

8. Which training partner gives you the toughest time in practice?
All my training partners are tough! Each has attributes that push me to the limit!

9. What's the worst job you've ever had?
When I was 15 I worked as a stock boy for $5 an hour. I got screamed at everyday about how poor my skills were as a laborer. From that point on I knew I had to go to school and get a degree!

10. I understand that you are from Brooklyn. Mets or Yankees?
To tell you the truth I hardly watch anything but combat sports. I'm not a big fan of team sports or sports with balls being thrown around. I need to see someone getting hurt. I need to see fists flying. The only other sports I enjoy doing other then fighting is paint balling!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Phillipe. I am darbs from exodians.wordpress.com. We will nominate you as an emerging influential blogs of 2009. This is a writing project from a Filipina Ms. Torel. Here is the instruction.

http://www.influentialblogger.net/2009/05/join-top-10-emerging-influential-blogs.html

We also reposted your first blog entry, hope you don't mind.

God Bless.

Darbs